Things To Know About Mold In The Home

It is not uncommon for mold and mildew to thrive during the summer months, even right here in Towson. The heat and humidity make it perfect for the substances to grow in places such as laundry rooms, showers, and other locations. Plus, the spores become airborne and travel throughout the home. Hence, it is possible for the fungus to become part of the equation in rooms that do not typically contain a lot of moisture.

Towson residents may want to consider investing in a humidifier. The device removes water from the air and turns it into a fine mist. If one of the units throws a wrench into a person's budget, they might be able to use things that are already in the home to dry things out. For instance, homeowners can turn on exhaust and ceiling fans to extract the moisture.

Leaving Mold Unchecked Is A Big No-No

Areas of the home like the kitchen, basement, or bathrooms are the ideal breeding grounds for molds. Once the funguses take hold, it can be hard for homeowners to get rid of them. However, they must try, and if they can't accomplish the feat on their own, they should schedule a consultation with a mold remediation professional. Why? Well, molds produce toxic substances and allergens. When people are exposed to these contaminants, health issues can arise. Symptoms often include but are not limited to...

Asthma Flare-Ups

Sneezing

Watery Eyes

Itchy Throat

Skin Rashes

Mold Produces An Unpleasant Odor

The last thing Towson citizens want to be doing is breathing in obnoxious smelling aromas while they are relaxing at home. Molds release microbial volatile organic compounds into the air. These are frequently the cause behind the musty or moldy odor and a tell-tale sign that mold is present. Due to the fungus being able to affect the health and well-being of your loved ones, it is of the utmost importance to find the source and eliminate it from the premises.

Think About Getting Your Air Ducts Cleaned

It is a good idea to have professional air duct cleaning performed when there are visible signs of mold in the ducts or on A/C and heating components. However, it is notable to mention that a visible inspection does not always allow you to see some areas where the fungus may exist. Be sure to ask the representative to show you all of the hidden spots to examine. When air ducts are insulated, the insulation sometimes gets wet with condensation.

If this is the case, the ducts cannot be sanitized thoroughly. Hence, they will likely need to be replaced. Also, if the problem that caused the mold growth is not corrected, the issue will only reoccur. A lot of people attempt to kill the fungus with a bleach/water solution. This is not necessarily a bad idea, but even dead mold can cause allergic reactions. Thus, it is best to let the professionals remove it completely to keep symptoms at bay. 

Share this Post: